Asalaam aleykum fellow creatures on earth,
I think I will start this post with a common scenario we have all been through at several points in our lives.
Feeling like sh@#, down, tired, confused, lost, anxious of the future and the present, sometimes the past too, regrets …
Let’s pause here for a second.
Yes! regrets, I know people say if you are happy with were you are now then you shouldn’t regret the things that happened before…since when?? I still get day-mares from some stupid stuff I have done in the past that send chills down my spine…but I guess most people are damaged somehow, it’s part of becoming an adult. I think eventually we just learn to live with the regret and accept it…sort of.
fear, frustration, anger, you know the whole package.
Signed, sealed, delivered.
Now my usual MO in these situations is to open that bloody package and break it down to a science to find out what is actually wrong? fix it… move on, and quarantine it in my special room labeled “Gifts from Satan”- with no freaking return address.
But sometimes I’m too drained to even do that, I do eventually do it, but it just takes longer, I figured out a faster way to go about it recently, I’m sure most of you must have figured this out years ago, but I found out your secret now so you got nothing on me.
So in case you didn’t read the title of the post, the fastest way to get out of these situations is istighfar, saying “astaghfirullah” continuously… and not only when the package arrives but even before it does…just every time we can remember… it’s like an antivirus. A very efficient one, with so many bonus features in one.
Here are some of the advantages that I have experienced after installing this new program to my system.
1) Humility / Humbling: Every time I say it, I think of all the wrong doings I do everyday and realize it’s a lot, it shows me I still have a long way to go.
2) Increases Tawakul: This part is mainly because, as I say Astagfirullah, I’m becoming more conscious of Allah and His attributes.
3) More Khushu in prayer: again due to being more conscious of Allah during the day it’s easier to stay focused in prayer.
4) More Calm: This is a side-effect of Tawakul, less anxious about the future, money and others
5) Peace of mind: No Muslim at any point can be asked, are you ready to meet Allah? and respond “I am sooooo ready mannn” (Bouncing up and down, shadow boxing)… Yeah, NO. But at least if you are asking for forgiveness most of the time, you feel like you are walking around with a possibly clean slate every time you ask for forgiveness.
So this is what I have experienced so far, however there is much more promised by Allah in the Quran that will happen to you from doing something so simple as saying Astaghfirullah continuously.
And here they are:
Quran verse: HUD 11:3
“And [saying], “Seek forgiveness of your Lord and repent to Him, [and] He will let you enjoy a good provision for a specified term and give every doer of favor his favor. But if you turn away, then indeed, I fear for you the punishment of a great Day.”
Quran Verse: Nuh 71: 10 -12
“And said, ‘Ask forgiveness of your Lord. Indeed, He is ever a Perpetual Forgiver. He will send [rain from] the sky upon you in [continuing] showers. And give you increase in wealth and children and provide for you gardens and provide for you rivers.”
Quran Verse: HUD 11: 52
“And O my people, ask forgiveness of your Lord and then repent to Him. He will send [rain from] the sky upon you in showers and increase you in strength [added] to your strength. And do not turn away, [being] criminals.”
Quran Verse: Al-Anfal : 8:33
“But Allah would not punish them while you, [O Muhammad], are among them, and Allah would not punish them while they seek forgiveness.”
Quran Verse: Sad: 38:35
“He said, “My Lord, forgive me and grant me a kingdom such as will not belong to anyone after me. Indeed, You are the Bestower.”
Yes, you can drop your jaw now…
That’s all folks,